You guys? I almost burnt the house down. This isn’t one of those “false alarm” smoke detector moments. This is an actual flames-coming-from-the-oven kind of thing. I guess it would be good timing considering I just brought the fire fighters at the fire department a stone throw away from us cupcakes last night. But nonetheless, a burnt down house is never good.
I had a craving for those yummy cheese biscuits that come before your dinner at Red Lobster. And seeing how Hubs and I are dirt poor with yet another broken vehicle on our hands, I knew Red Lobster was out of the question. So what did I do? I looked up a recipe online and convinced myself it would be easy.
Which it kind of was, minus the whole flames bit.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, salt and baking powder. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of flour mixture. Add the milk and cheddar cheese; stir to combine. Drop batter by spoonfuls onto an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes, until lightly browned. While biscuits are baking mix melted butter and minced garlic. Brush garlic butter over hot baked biscuits.
But you know what? Don’t use a baking sheet that doesn’t have edges. That butter you cut up and mixed in? It melts. And it starts to drip. And when it hits the red hot burner on the oven…flames happen.
But they turned out quite good. They satisfied my craving!
So I sent hubs to go get some heavy duty oven cleaner. I read the back of the can and realized it’s no easy, simple feat. So stay tuned. I’m sure there will be some kind of disastrous story about how I almost asphyxiated myself or destroyed our rented floor.
In other news: if you are in Athens, GA please stay safe. This is a horrible story and I hope it finds resolution soon. I was heading home from the mall this afternoon when I saw 16 police vehicles with lights and sirens on flying past me going the opposite direction. Here is why.